SUMMARY: The Sewing Machine Operator is primarily responsible is sewing cushions, umbrellas and decorative pillows. The Sewing Machine Operator performs the following duties in a fast-paced environment: sewing, cutting, threading, cleaning, oiling, and housekeeping in and around the machine and production area.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Keep work area clean and picked upped.
- Always strive to increase your productivity.
- Ask your supervisor or co-workers for assistance if you need it.
- Sew all cushions, pillows, umbrellas, etc according to the design specifications, maintaining proper stitches per inch and seam overlap. Locate the hook & loop ties according to the design specifications in order for the cushion to be placed on the specific frame it is designed for on the proper side, front & back, top & bottom and the law label in correct located on the cushion, and the stack of different labels in the correct order.
- Use the correct color thread & bobbin thread per your supervisor’s instruction.
- Make sure cushions are handled properly and that they are kept clean and away anything that may potentially damage or stain them.
- Make sure stitching (stitches per inch) and overlap are maintained according the established standards.
- Make sure ties are placed on the cushion according design specifications, and in the proper direction & location for proper use.
- Make sure ties are cut sewn to the proper length according to design specifications, and that a hook and loop are put together as a group in order to secure the cushion to the frame.
- Observe that the various fabric patterns are properly sewn together in order for the designated center is centered, stripes meet each other and the top of a pattern is facing up on the different cushion designs.
- Take extra care when working with COM or other special fabrics in order to reduce errors and rework.
- Pay attention to the machine you are operating & make sure it is operating properly. Notify your supervisor as soon as you notice the machine not operating properly.
- If at any time you are unsure what to do or use ask your supervisor.
- Other duties may be required
- Quality must always be a top priority.
- Sew all materials to established quality standards.
- Report immediately any material that does not meet established quality standards.
- Report immediately any fabric panels that don’t seem to meet established quality standards.
- Follow all company safety policies, other polices & procedures.
- Observe other employees around you who are not wearing proper safety equipment or are may be committing a safety violation, and notify your supervisor.
- Be on the look out for factory or personnel safety hazards or unsafe conditions within the factory, and notify your supervisor. Take immediate action to correct if needed.
- Report all safety hazards or concerns to your supervisor or the Production Manager or the Safety Manager to correct.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A strong sense of dedication to your work. A good work ethic. Detail oriented. Tenaciously work towards daily, monthly & annual department and company goals & objectives. An amenable personality with the ability to self-motivates and works towards a vision or goal. Ability to prioritize. Be able to take direction, both verbally and written. Ability to work with others.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to speak and read either English or Spanish, both is preferred.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Posses basic mathematical skills.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Be able to ask for further direction or help when not sure of what to do or is being asked of you.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle or feel; talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include good or corrected to 20/20 for close vision, distance vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job in a warehouse or light manufacturing environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to moving mechanical equipment and an environment and noise level consistent with light industrial manufacturing.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 1 year Sewing Experience required
- Sewing Machine knowledge required
- Industrial Sewing Machines experience
- Experience sewing heavy fabrics
- Experience operating, troubleshooting, and maintaining sewing machine
- Ability to sew fabric specifications efficiently and accurately
BENEFITS: OW Lee offers the following benefits to their employees after probation period:
- Medical, Dental & Vision including HSA/HMO/PPO Health Care Plans.
- $15,000 Life insurance at no cost to the employee with the option to purchase additional insurance for them and family at low rates.
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Vacation & Sick Pay
- 10 Paid Holidays
Starting at $15/hr