General Job Description
Assists in the upkeep and maintenance of city public areas, including but not limited to parks and athletic fields, city buildings and facilities.
Duties & Responsibility
- Maintains Facilities and other city grounds by mowing, trimming, planting grass, trees, flowers, and shrubs using a variety of light equipment, hand tools, and chainsaws.
- Performs construction, remodeling, repairs and preventive maintenance on city facilities and grounds as needed.
- Cleans and maintains city facilities, parks grounds, and pavilions.
- Cleans and sanitizes restrooms, including fixtures, floors and mirrors, also replenishes soap and paper goods.
- Performs light carpentry, electrical, irrigation and/or plumbing duties as needed.
- Loads, transports, and unloads necessary materials and equipment for assigned projects.
- Assists in setting up tents, tables, and chairs for City-sponsored special events and rentals as directed.
- Assists in performing maintenance and routine repairs at city parks, athletic fields, including the assembly of equipment.
- Picks up refuse from facilities and grounds: empties trash cans and barrels and disposes of properly.
- May assist with concrete application and with form building ;
- May assist other personnel with painting facilities, such as restrooms and buildings as well as other items like tables and barrels;
- Serves as essential emergency personnel when required;
- Regular and prompt attendance is an essential function of the position; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
Education & Training
High School graduation or its equivalent; or sufficient education to understand and follow instructions; or
Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the assigned duties.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required
Knowledge of: basic custodial and gardening techniques; light carpentry, electrical and plumbing
Skill/Ability to: operate standard custodial and garden equipment safely; understand and follow instructions; work alone with minimum supervision; tolerate outside working conditions, including adverse weather conditions; and establish and maintain effective working relationship with co-workers and the general public
Safety/Physical Requirements: Heavy. Tasks involve bending, lifting walking, carrying, and using a force equal to ninety (90) pounds.
Certifications & Licenses Required
Appropriate Texas Driver’s License.
Work Environment: Indoor/ Outdoor extreme weather conditions
Reports to: Parks Superintendent & Assistant Parks Superintendent/or Parks Crew Leader
Directs: Non-supervisory position
Other: Has contact with other city employees, local veterinarians, Texas Department of Health and Human Services Inspectors, area law enforcement officers, and the general public
Hourly: $17.46-$21.82 Annually: $36,319.92-$45,383.52