General Job Description:
Operates and maintains a central point for receiving emergency and non-emergency information via E911 telephone, non-emergency telephone, two-way radio, Mobile Data Terminal, teletype, and by person between the public, law enforcement, emergency services, outside public safety agencies, and numerous other outside agencies.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Answers both emergency and non-emergency telephone equipment to include E911 and TTY/TDD for services to include Law Enforcement, Fire, Emergency Medical Service, Utility personnel, and/or other related functions for the City of Boerne, City of Fair Oaks Ranch, and Kendall County;
- Directs all inquiries from the public to the proper agency or organization;
- Dispatches law enforcement, fire, and Emergency Medical Service, and utility personnel and other related personnel for the City of Boerne, the City of Fair Oaks Ranch and Kendall County via radio, Mobile Data Terminal, and/or telephone;
- Contacts appropriate support personnel and/or agencies or organizations as needed;
- Maintains an accurate log by means of computer or written form of all radio and/or telephone communication;
- Relays and provide information to field units;
- Operates and disseminates information to the proper personnel by way of law enforcement telecommunications equipment (TLETS/NLETS, TCIC/NCIC) systems;
- Not limited to the functions of Entering, Canceling, and/or Clearing of information from the TLETS/NLETS, TCIC/NCIC system pertaining to Wanted, Stolen, and/or Missing persons or property;
- Maintains up-to-date files in regard to those transactions in TLETS/NLETS, TCCIC/NCIC and other information processed;
- Operates telephones both administrative and E911, intercoms, radios, Mobile Data Terminal, teletypes, computers, printers, alarm monitors, and other related electronic and/or mechanical equipment;
- Receive and direct citizen walk-in traffic to the appropriate personnel;
- Operate the public alert system;
- Makes written reports as needed; and
- May testify in both criminal and/or civil court.
- Serves as essential emergency personnel when required;
- Regular and prompt attendance is an essential function of the position; and
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent, with at least one year of experience in emergency telecommunications operations; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of: Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules and procedures for radio transmission; State of Texas law enforcement procedures for Teletype transmitting and receiving; Computer software and equipment.
Skill/Ability to: Good short-term memory; Handle more than one situation simultaneously; Make quick and correct decisions affecting the safety of personnel and the general public; Work well under stressful situations; Follow oral and/or written directions; Type 35 wpm; Maintain a good working relationship with departmental and outside agency related personnel; Work well with the general public; Communicate orally and in writing in a clear and easily understood manner; Maintain appropriate necessary certification; Operate modern office equipment; Pass a pre-employment test to include but not limited to decision making, data entry, memory recall, prioritization, and map reading
Safety/Physical Requirements; Light tasks require the ability to sit for extended periods of time, and to lift, carry, drag or push/pull supplies weighing up to 30 lbs., bending and stooping.
Certification & Licenses Required:
Valid Texas Driver's License and must be bondable. Must possess the State of Texas TCOLE Basic Telecommunications Operator Certification. Certification within 6 months of employment . See Police Career Plan.
|Reports To:||Telecommunications Manager
|Directs:||This is a non-supervisory position.
||Has regular contact with Boerne Police Department employees and other law enforcement agencies, Boerne Fire and Emergency Medical Service personnel and other outside Fire Department personnel; other employees of the City of Boerne, the City of Fair Oaks Ranch and Kendall County, and the general public|
Salary Range: Hourly $19.25 - $24.06 / Annually $40,032.72 -$50,035.44